International Student Office (ISO) guidance/checklist for applying for post-degree completion Optional Practical Training (OPT). Please read the checklist carefully. Of special note:
• Applicants are required to register and attend a post-completion OPT workshop with the ISO. Sloan will host a session Wednesday, February 20 (11:45-1:00 E51-325), register here. If you cannot attend, sign up for an MIT session through https://iMIT.mit.edu.
• March 2 is the first day that US Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) will accept OPT applications.
• Given high demand across MIT expect a 10-day processing time for the new I-20 needed for the application.
• Requests for the MIT Sloan department letter for the I-20 can be made here to Sloan Educational Services.
• If you are traveling outside the US during SIP/Spring break, please note that OPT applicants cannot leave the country until they receive confirmation and a registration number from USCIS. This generally takes a week from the date the application is delivered to USCIS. Consider how to time your application submission in a way that is appropriate for your circumstances and plans.