5 Email Templates to Respond to Recruiters (No Matter Where You Are in Your Search)

By Jaclyn Westlake | The Muse

Getting approached about a job opening can feel super flattering (and it’s a sure sign that you’re doing something right!), but depending on where you are in your career, figuring out how to respond can be a bit of a headache.

You don’t want to come off as rude or dismissive if you aren’t interested, and you definitely don’t want to seem desperate or needy if you are. So yes, finding the right words can be tricky, but these five templates will make responding to recruiters a breeze—regardless of your current status.

1. If You’re 100% Not Job Searching
You love what you’re doing, and there’s nothing anyone can say or do to convince you to consider a new opportunity—at least not for the foreseeable future. But, you don’t want to close the door on what could be a potentially helpful relationship down the line either.

Hi [Name],

Thanks for reaching out! This certainly sounds like an interesting job, and I appreciate your consideration.

I really love the work I’m doing for [Your Company] and am not in the market for a new opportunity at the moment. That said, if I find myself looking to make a change in the future, I’ll be sure to get in touch.

Thanks again!
[Your Name]

If you happen to know someone who might be interested in this role, you could also add something like, “I may have a colleague who could be a good fit for this role; would you mind if I passed your contact information on to them?” For recruiters, the next best thing to finding the right candidate is finding someone who knows the right candidate.

Read the full article here.

By MIT Sloan CDO
MIT Sloan CDO