We’re a visionary, exciting social media/networking and e-commerce start-up company seeking a Head of Product to join the founding team.
Our early-stage startup is building a social media and networking platform – our startup’s initial product launch -, as well as a disruptive 2nd platform, and we’re looking for a smart technologist who can lead our product development and the scaling of a world-class product team. The social media and networking platform caters to a niche segment initially, and we have a vision for the platform that distinguishes it from other entities in the space, aside from its unique focus.
The 2nd project is a truly forward-thinking, one-of-its-kind e-commerce-driven community that has a few components including marketplace and content. In fact, the platform does not immediately focus on e-commerce initially, in part, because anyone can do that, and we believe it could be a turn-off for at least 1 segment of our audience if it’s rushed/poorly executed. Rather, we initially seek to win over “fandom,” brands, as well as those who have a casual interest in the areas. Moreover, both our rollout of and approach to e-commerce are very inspired including more interesting and compelling options for “normal” consumers/users, fandom/connoisseurs, as well as makers compared to present offerings. We’ll share specific details about each project during candidate discussions.
As regards the position, the Head of Product role will evolve as the company scales, in particular, to include the breadth of a Chief Product Officer (CPO) role. However, there will be specialized management in Product-relevant areas, as appropriate, so that these areas will be within the CPO’s purview although the CPO will not be directly responsible – including some items cited in the responsibilities below. Relatedly, certain aspects of the Head of Product role may be hewn according to the particular hire’s skill set and experience.
The role includes a remote/WFH option, and part-time is okay initially. In addition, we are open to input as regards Los Angeles Metro as the main location or not. As one of the early members of the team, you’ll have an appropriate stake in the company, as well as a salary commensurate to the market rate. The startup is passionate, focused, youthful, and eager to build its presence quickly.
Equity, Market Competitive Salary (based on experience and qualifications), and Perks
Miami, Los Angeles Metro, and Remote/WFH
About the Position:
The Head of Product will partner in the startup’s vision, help shape the trajectory of the company’s efforts, provide the startup’s executive team with invaluable product guidance, and help lead the startup’s recruitment of an experienced and innovative Product team. Although startup experience is a plus, it isn’t required.
• Develop the product vision and set, in collaboration with Strategy team, the strategic direction of the product, which aligns with customer needs, business growth, and overall technology strategy
• Collaborate closely/work cross-functionally with Engineering, Marketing, and Sales teams on the development, QA, and release of products
• Pursue a deep understanding of user and customer needs through research and data analysis
• Explore new technologies and features as well as complimentary products/platforms (including use of pilot programs)
• Assess current competitor offerings, seeking opportunities for differentiation
• Appraise new product ideas, and in collaboration with the Strategy team, strategize appropriate go-to-market plans
• Analyze market data to develop sales strategies, as well as define product objectives for effective marketing communications
• Develop, in collaboration with Strategy team, product positioning and messaging that differentiates the startup and product’s features across primary market segments
• Define product requirements and roadmaps including such as time, cost, feasibility, and impact
• Develop, in collaboration with Analytics, metrics and KPIs to measure the products and identify areas for improvement
• Analyze consumer needs, current market trends, and potential partnerships
• Drive the execution of all product lifecycle processes including product research, market research, competitive analysis, planning, positioning, roadmap development, requirements development, and product launch
• Build, mentor, and manage a Product team including Product managers and UX designers, among others, and nurture a customer-driven product culture
• Drive scalable processes and innovation in the product development cycle
• Collaborate across teams to communicate product strategies with internal stakeholders and adjust priorities according to feedback
• Translation of product strategy into detailed requirements for prototype construction and final product development by engineering teams
• Creation of product strategy documents, in collaboration with Strategy, that describe business cases, high-level use cases, technical requirements, revenue, and ROI
• Bachelor’s degree required, MBA is a plus
• Strong collaboration and interpersonal skills to work closely with various teams throughout the organization
• Experience working at a social media/social networking services startup is a plus;
• Proven experience in Product-related leadership and/or management roles (minimum 3+ years of experience)
• Demonstrated success in working collaboratively on delivering world-class solutions
• Have fun and love what you do!
• Excellent (verbal and written) communication, negotiation, and organization skills
• A highly proactive, problem-solving orientation with canny analytical and strategic abilities
• Comfortable working in a fast-paced startup environment
• Self-driven/highly motivated team builder who leads with a positive attitude
• Advanced computer skills including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint, among other business software
• Strong time-management and project management skills
How To Apply:
If you have an interest in the Head of Product position, please send an email that includes your resume/CV, your LinkedIn profile (if you have one), as well as any additional materials/links that you think would be helpful in evaluating your candidacy, to firstname.lastname@example.org.