Founded in 2012 by Liesel and Ian Simmons, Blue Haven Initiative (BHI) is a single-family office managing a diversified international investment and philanthropic portfolio. As one of the first family offices created with impact investing as its mission and focus, BHI aims to prove that market rates of financial return can be achieved while also maximizing positive social and environmental outcomes. BHI also recognizes that not all solutions are a good fit for commercial investment and seeks to support non-profit and civic work through its philanthropy.
The BHI Operations team sits at the nexus of the investment and philanthropy work and plays a critical role in defining and driving strategic, operational, and organizational improvements. The team coordinates strategy across portfolios, manages BHI’s key partnerships, and enables the different in-house teams to achieve a high-quality work product.
The Strategic Operations Associate will engage with all verticals in the BHI organization, including multiple investment and grantmaking portfolios. Reporting directly to the Managing Director of Operations (MD), the Associate will independently lead analysis and manage special projects for all portfolios, build partnerships within and beyond BHI, and expand the MD’s bandwidth and resources. The Associate will proactively support the MD.
Potential Associate projects include:
• Preparing a portfolio presentation for the BHI Investment Committee
• Analyzing the historical financials of BHI investments and grantees
• Building a dashboard to track key social impact performance indicators
• Crafting a strategy proposal for investing in first-time fund managers
• Designing onboarding processes for BHI new hires
The position is full-time and remote with periodic travel. Given current circumstances, BHI expects to be operating on a remote basis through June 2021, with periodic re-evaluation. A detailed description of the duties and skills for this position are included below.
At Blue Haven Initiative, we believe that generating social impact starts with diverse teams and partners. This means cultivating an equitable workplace that encourages collaboration and creativity, and we actively recruit and empower diverse people who represent the next generation of leadership. Applicants will never be disqualified nor discriminated against by race, class, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, veteran or disability status, criminal history, or educational attainment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct support of the Managing Director of Operations
• Set and execute strategic priorities across portfolio and risk management, cash management, human resources, trust administration, and external partnerships
• Conduct research to drive decisions across all aspects of the business, including legal, investments, and operations
• Design internal reporting structures on key performance indicators
• Oversee budgeting for investment and philanthropic portfolios
• Research, benchmark and make recommendations for new tools or processes
- Strategic project management
• Execute bespoke analysis of the investment portfolio, philanthropic portfolio, and internal BHI operations
• Design, streamline and implement procedures across teams
• Oversee cross-functional or organization-wide projects
- Relationship management
• Serve as point of contact for external partners, including wealth managers, Investment Committee members, and key vendors
• Convene and facilitate discussions among internal stakeholders at BHI
- Meeting preparation
• Prepare and execute quarterly Investment Committee meetings, crafting agenda, developing presentation materials, creating minutes and managing follow-up tasks
• Coordinate logistics and scheduling for meetings and events with the broader Operations team
Our ideal candidate will have these attributes:
- Strong interest in social impact investing
- Can independently prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities
- Ability to learn quickly and to create work structures from scratch
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with colleagues and external partners
- Ability to analyze complex data and distill it into a meaningful and coherent story or proposal
- Can develop high-quality written and visual presentations
- Sensitivity towards handling confidential information
These attributes would be great to have, but are not necessary to apply:
• Experience in a consulting, banking, or a client-management role
• Experience in project management, accounting, or financial management
• Experience with the following platforms: QuickBooks, Salesforce, Microsoft Excel
• Experience working with a family office or in private wealth management
Benefits and Compensation
Compensation will be competitive in the family office space and in line with experience.
Benefits include healthcare, paid parental leave, retirement planning, employee philanthropic matching program, and flexible vacation schedules.
Please submit your application via our online application form.
The priority deadline for applications is 11:59 PM ET on Wednesday, January 13th, 2021. Applications will continue to be accepted after this deadline and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. To facilitate bias-blind recruitment, please remove the following information from your resume submission:
• Your name and contact information (including from the file name)
• School name references (high school, undergraduate, graduate)
• Personal hobbies and interests
You can find an example of a blind resume here. You do not need to reformat your resume, and you may leave your degree (e.g., B.A. Biology).
If you have any questions about Blue Haven Initiative or the Strategic Operations Associate position, we encourage you to reach out to Nick Panagiotou at email@example.com