Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description and Responsibilities
Ceres is searching for an experienced professional to lead us on our DEI journey to become an equitable and inclusive organization. The Vice President of DEI will lead on development, implementation and oversight of Ceres’ DEI strategy for our internal organizational work and guide staff to develop and implement goals. The Vice President will lead culture change work by promoting an environment of cultural competence through identification and implementation of culturally-inclusive practices and innovations. The Vice President will serve on the Executive Team (ET) and guide the team on building and leading an inclusive organization, with an initial focus on how we become an anti-racist organization. This position will also lead the employee DEI committee, staff the Board DEI Committee, and facilitate employee resource groups. This role will have a strong and collaborative partnership with Human Resources (HR) to support and strengthen our recruitment, retention, training and advancement efforts.
The Vice President of DEI will report to the CEO and work across the organization to provide leadership and to develop and advance a DEI strategy with emphasis on building an inclusive and supportive culture. The position is well-suited for someone with strong DEI strategy design and management capabilities. They will work with all of Ceres’ teams to develop multi-year goals and partner with Ceres’ Innovation and Evaluation (I&E) Team to evaluate progress toward those goals to measure impact. This position is preferred to be based in our Boston office but location is flexible for highly qualified candidates.
Specifically, the Vice President of DEI will:
· Develop and implement a new DEI strategy and multi-year work plan and goals tied to Ceres values. The initial plan will serve as a roadmap to promote diversity, equity and inclusion and to move Ceres along the anti-racism continuum with the goal of becoming an anti-racist, multi-cultural organization.
· Develop measurable goals related to the DEI strategy in order to assure accountability and transparency.
· Develop a measurement framework to assess the effectiveness of DEI initiatives in partnership with the I&E Team.
· Serve as coach to our Leadership Team (20 people) on ensuring a DEI framework to lead teams, supervise staff, consider staff advancement, and manage staff retention.
· Provide training to HR team members to do the same.
· Build and foster strong relationships with various groups across the company. Take a consultative approach to understanding business needs with the goal of ensuring that processes reflect the Ceres’ DEI objectives.
· Champion and inform the development and design of new policies and procedures to reflect the Ceres’ priorities and ensure DEI principles are embedded into sustainable business operations.
· Advise program and department leadership on how to integrate DEI best practices into their operations and set measurable annual and multi-year DEI goals. Provide support and guidance in addressing and responding to specific incidents, including modeling inclusive communication, difficult conversations and equitable discipline.
· Advise the HR team to design recruitment, advancement and retention strategy and efforts to ensure a truly diverse workforce.
· Identify barriers to inclusion at all stages of the employment cycle for underrepresented or historically marginalized employees and work with HR and other key leaders to develop and promote actionable solutions.
· Advise the HR team to design programs to address advancement opportunities for underrepresented staff into management and senior management.
· Advise HR team on training and learning programs to create a culture of inclusion and belonging and support professional development of staff to encourage advancement.
· Advise ET on strategic allocation of resources to support culture of inclusion and belonging.
· Partner with Chief Economist & Senior Advisor for Just and Inclusive Economies to identify resource and training needs for staff to implement JIE programmatic goals.
· Support the Events Team as they implement DEI goals for inclusion and diversity of attendees and speakers.
· Track emerging trends in diversity, equity and inclusion and how they can be integrated into Ceres’ DEI strategy.
· Provide regular updates and diversity insights to Ceres’ leadership.
· Develop a framework and processes to support new and existing affinity groups. Regularly engage with and advise affinity groups, providing mentorship and leadership.
· Actively assess the social climate. Raise awareness of current affairs and provide guidance on emergent concerns that affect the organization.
· Provide input and review on appropriate internal and external communications.
· Provide support and training to Ceres communication team to ensure Ceres messaging is inclusive.
· Support Development as needed in major donor and foundation solicitation to support Ceres DEI strategy development and implementation.
· Oversee and coordinate reporting on all DEI activities; raising issues when goals are not being reached to hold Ceres accountable.
· Co-supervise the Associate, JEDI
· Other duties as they arise.
· 10 years of relevant strategy and culture change work experience in roles of progressive responsibility.
· Prior experience leading DEI efforts in a growing organization
· Proven track record of results-driven strategic management is required, including demonstrated success in guiding senior staff to achieve goals.
· Demonstrated record of working with senior staff to develop and achieve goals
· Experience supervising staff, including ability to provide feedback, training and support staff professional development.
· Strong relationship management skills are necessary for success in the position.
· Prior experience as mentor and/or coach, desired.
· Entrepreneurial attitude.
· Learning and growth mindset.
· Broad understanding of how to build effective collaborations across organizational departments, and with different levels of staff across the organization
· Superior communication skills, both oral and written
· Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to DRi Consulting.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.