Johnson & Johnson Innovation is recruiting a Head of Johnson & Johnson Innovation, JLABS, in San Francisco Bay Area.
The goal of Johnson & Johnson Innovation is to advance transformative healthcare solutions that improve the lives of people around the world and, in so doing, to deliver value to Johnson & Johnson (“J&J”). JJI accomplishes this by catalyzing new science and technology through collaboration and exchange of ideas. This growing team is looking for a colleague inspired to help build and innovate new ways of fostering a productive life-science ecosystem.
This position will be responsible for setting the strategic direction and overseeing all operational activities for JLABS in San Francisco Bay Area and leading our partnership with MBC Biolabs. This position will also be part of the Global Johnson & Johnson Innovation JLABS leadership team.
JLABS (“JLABS”) is the external R&D engine of Johnson & Johnson, catalyzing a community of entrepreneurs in health, operating a network of life science incubators focusing and accelerating emerging through its development, and supporting the portfolio to successful partnering and funding.
Key areas of responsibility related to leading JLABS in the San Francisco Bay Area:
- Lead the strategy, the operational activities and the team to deliver on the business objectives including financial performance measures, portfolio metrics and marketing/branding deliverables
- Deliver financial forecasts and performance including revenues and operational expenditures
- Maintain strong relationship with Janssen R&D and function as the JLABS representative for site governance
- Actively engage with start-up companies in Northern California as an advisor and scout for opportunities for J&J to partner directly with the companies
- Build relationships with Venture Capital and Angel Funds and create opportunities for them to engage with JLABS resident companies in the Bay Area
- Function as spokesperson for the site and relevant subject matter
- Internal collaboration with each of Johnson & Johnson sectors, including pharm, medical device and consumer, and other internal capabilities
- Internal collaborations with Johnson & Johnson Development Corporation and Innovation Centers to complete deals strategic to the J&J portfolio strategy
- Managing the performance of 25-50 external collaborators
The successful applicant will have deep experience and understanding of the pharma, and/or the medical device and/or the consumer healthcare products industries, an entrepreneurial experience having started and/or run a start-up or a business unit within a larger corporation with excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach and develop high-performance teams and develop and implement program strategies.
S/he must be an analytic and decisive decision maker with the ability to prioritize and communicate to staff key objectives and tactics necessary to achieve organizational goals with demonstrated experience in initiating, establishing and managing partnerships with academic institutions and companies, including the interplay between internal and external stakeholders.
S/he must have a demonstrated experience as part of negotiation team, with a demonstrated ability to contribute to establishing relationships at a fast pace while developing a collegial, collaborative relationship with a potential partner and be comfortable working with other team members, including scientific leads, transaction, legal, finance, marketing, and commercial teams to progress and complete partnerships.
S/he must be of a collaborative mindset and a strong team player and communicator to develop and present strategic and scientific rationale to key internal constituencies. S/he must be curious to think about, develop and present innovative ways for outreach and interaction with the healthcare ecosystem, and for “out-of-the-box” ideas and willing to take on responsibilities for helping to develop and strengthen J&J’s shared culture.
S/he must possess strong written and verbal communication skills with a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent public speaking skills. S/he must be an action-oriented, entrepreneurial, flexible, and innovative approach to operational management with a passion, humility, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
- A Bachelor’s degree
- A Minimum of 15 years of experience and a track record in senior program management is required.
- An advanced degree (MBA and/or a MD or PhD) is preferred.
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience in the healthcare industry is required.
- S/he must possess deep experience in program budgeting and fiscal management with experience in business development, technology transfer, management consulting, and/or venture capital investing.
- Experience in the evaluation and execution of a diverse set of business development opportunities is required.
- Demonstrated adaptability to work across functions and therapeutic areas is required.
- This position is located in San Francisco Bay Area, CA and requires willingness to travel (mostly CA and western U.S., but some U.S. East Coast or international) up to 25% of the time.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.#LI-TB1