Morgan Stanley Investment Management (MSIM) is one of the largest global asset management organizations of any full-service securities firm, with more than 40 years of history, a presence in 23 countries, and a total of $1.4 trillion in assets under management as of March 31, 2021. MSIM strives to provide outstanding long-term investment performance, service and a comprehensive suite of investment management solutions to a diverse client base, which includes governments, institutions, corporations and individuals worldwide.
Morgan Stanley AIP – Private Markets (the Team), an investment team within MSIM, seeks to deliver innovative private markets solutions to a global client base across a variety of asset classes within private equity and related strategies. The Team is comprised of over 50 investment professionals based in suburban Philadelphia, New York, London and Hong Kong. Since 2014, the Team has developed a strong footprint in impact investing by deploying over $1bn in social and environmental impact strategies – with a particular focus on climate impact investments ranging from cleantech to sustainable agriculture.
The Team is seeking candidates with experience conducting Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) due diligence in the context of private markets investing to become a key member of the ESG and operational due diligence teams. The ESG Officer will lead the Team’s efforts in continuing to refine and improve ESG policies and procedures; work closely with the investment teams to identify, evaluate, and monitor ESG risks; provide guidance and recommendations to the Investment Committee in complex situations; and coordinate ESG training efforts. The position is based in London.
– Work closely with the investment teams to refine and improve the ESG integration processes, tools, and systems
– Support investment teams to identify, evaluate, and monitor ESG risks for each investment put forth for approval and provide guidance and recommendations to the Investment Committee
– Work with investment teams and impact specialists to define sustainability goals at the portfolio level including assessing carbon reduction targets
– Create thought leadership pieces around key sustainability topics and support the development of ESG materials for clients, including client presentations, due diligence questionnaires, and marketing materials
– Support ESG data management, verification, and assurance and coordinate the ESG reporting initiatives
– Provide training and education on ESG practices internally (for deal teams, new hires etc.).
– An undergraduate degree from a leading university, or equivalent. MBA is a plus
– Prior relevant experience within an ESG/ sustainability capacity, ideally in a consulting firm or private equity GP
– Experience preparing ESG-related assessments against recognized standards; developing ESG performance improvement strategies; and reporting and communicating ESG performance
– Highly motivated self-starter with a team orientation; ability to engage with a range of internal and external stakeholders at various levels of ESG awareness
– Strong verbal and written communication skills
– Exceptional project management and execution skills with an ability to meet challenging deadlines while maintaining a high degree of quality and accuracy
– Excellent research and analytical skills and the ability to present the conclusions of your analysis in a clear and well-structured manner
– Strong understanding of private equity, responsible investing, impact investing, ESG and financial concepts
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
Interested in flexible working opportunities? Morgan Stanley empowers employees to have greater freedom of choice through flexible working arrangements. Speak to our recruitment team to find out more.
Given the continued spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), all interviews will be conducted by phone or virtual connection to protect our candidates and employees.