OpNet Director of Operations
Job title: Director of Operations, OpNet
Reports to: OpNet Partner to be specified
What is the OpNet?
The Operator Network (“OpNet”) is an angel investor syndicate of public company C- and SVP-level executives who want to help the next generation of entrepreneurs by offering operating advice alongside our personal investment capital. OpNet members are high growth technology company executives, subject matter experts in Go-To-Market and G&A, who are “on call” to help select technical CEOs and Founders develop and hone their skills and strategies, and solve currently unforeseen problems in the exciting times ahead for your company.
OpNet invests in companies which are raising an early round of financing (Seed, Series A-B primarily) where we can provide value with both our experience and our personal capital. Typical OpNet investments will range from $250k – $1m of the group’s combined capital in a financing round. Depending on the entrepreneur’s desired level of OpNet (or specific OpNet member) engagement, we may be open to discussing additional advisory option / warrant grants, etc. Of note, OpNet is not an AngelList construct with carried interest for “finding a deal” (OpNet members don’t get carry for uncovering investment opportunities).
Who is the Operator Network? The team is:
● Bradley Armstrong – SVP Corporate Development at Slack (NYSE:WORK)
● Kristin Baker- Venture Partner at CRV, previously a General Partner at Social Capital and Chief Commercial Officer at Collective Health
● Ryan Carlson – CMO at Okta (NASDAQ:OKTA)
● Chuck Dietrich – Previously Corporate VP at Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) and 2x private company CEO (SlideRocket, sold to VMWare and MileIQ, sold to Microsoft)
● Mike Dinsdale – CFO at Gusto, previously CFO at DoorDash (NYSE:DASH) and DocuSign (NASDAQ: DOCU)
● Avid Larizadeh Duggan – Director at Barclays UK (NYSE:BCS), previously COO at Kobalt Music Group and a General Partner at Google Ventures
● Stacey Epstein – Chief Marketing & Customer Experience Officer at ServiceMax, previously CEO of Zinc
● Viviana Faga – Previously Operating Partner at Emergence Capital, and CMO at Zenefits and Yammer
● Todd Ford – CFO at Coupa Software (NASDAQ:COUP) and Director at 8×8 (NYSE:EGHT)
● Tom Gonser – Chief Strategy Officer & Co-Founder at DocuSign (NASDAQ:DOCU)
● Roger Goulart – SVP Business Development at Coupa Software (NASDAQ:COUP)
● Aaron Katz – Previously CRO at Elastic (NYSE:ESTC) and SVP of Enterprise Sales at Salesforce (NYSE:CRM)
● Frederic Kerrest – Executive Vice Chairman, COO & Co-Founder at Okta (NASDAQ:OKTA) and Co-Host& Co-Founder of the Zero to IPO podcast
● Jacques Kerrest – Director & Chair of Audit Committee at Comscore (NASDAQ:SCOR), previously Director / CFO / Audit Committee at 6 public companies
● Bill Losch – Previously CFO at Okta (NASDAQ:OKTA), CFO at MobiTV, Chief Accounting Officer at DreamWorks Animation (NASDAQ:DWA) and CAO at Yahoo! (NASDAQ:YHOO)
● Olivia Nottebohm – Previously COO at Dropbox (NASDAQ:DBX), VP Global SMB Sales and VP GTM Operations at Google Cloud (NASDAQ:GOOG)
● Jonathan Runyan – General Counsel at Okta (NASDAQ:OKTA), previously Partner in the Technology Companies practice at Goodwin Procter LLP
● David Schellhase – General Counsel at Slack (NYSE:WORK), previously GC at Groupon (NASDAQ: GRPN) and Salesforce (NYSE:CRM)
● David Schneider – General Partner at Coatue and Director at Zscaler (NASDAQ:ZS), previously President at ServiceNow (NYSE:NOW) and SVP WW Sales at Data Domain (NASDAQ:DDUP)
● Marty Vanderploeg – CEO & Co-Founder at Workiva (NYSE:WK)
● Dan Wright – CEO at DataRobot, previously COO & GC at AppDynamics
● Kelly Wright – Director at Fastly (NYSE:FSLY), Amperity, Lucid and Even, and Adjunct Professor at UW Foster, previously EVP Sales at Tableau (NYSE:DATA)
This is a great opportunity for someone who:
● Loves technology and is curious about the latest innovations
● Wants to actively learn about VC investing
● Wants to interact on a regular basis with some of the best entrepreneurs and company builders in the world
● Can combine hard work and a collegial approach
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1/ OpNet team administration
● Maintain / update investment trackers
● File investment information into a standard template
o Create and modify template if needed
● Set up and coordinate zoom calls with the team and the entrepreneurs
● Provide updates from companies when necessary
● Monitor/track investment round details and help drive to investment close as smoothly and efficiently as possible for both entrepreneur and opnet team
● Coordinate any wires/documents
● Help create any marketing materials/update any existing materials as needed
● Collaborate with OpNet Partners to maintain and improve group management processes
2/ Investment / startup opportunity management
● Coordinate inbound deal flow (“opportunities”)
● Follow-up with founders/companies to get any information needed to distribute to the team
● Ensure that every interaction entrepreneurs have with Opnet is delightful, additive and efficient
Minimum REQUIRED Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
● Soft skills – we’re in the people business: strong communication skills, including prompt and clear communication, and follow-through. Empathy and high EQ.
● Ability to handle multiple tasks, prioritize, and make decisions accordingly in a tight timeframe
● Detail oriented
● Weekly check-in with designated OpNet manager (via email or phone)
● Ideal candidate is a first or second year business school student looking for exposure to the VC world and willing to roll up their sleeves
● This is a part time role.
● The time commitment will vary depending on the level of investment activity in a particular month. On average expect 10-15 hours per week.
Compensation: commensurate with experience.
OpNet is an Equal Opportunity Employer.