You have real-world experience and are close to achieving an advanced degree. Congrats! Now, if you want to jump-start your career in a values-based, culturally driven healthcare community with a global footprint, look no further.
Begin your career at UnitedHealth Group and you’ll get an opportunity to make a real difference. We have modest goals: Help 75 million people live healthier lives. Improve the landscape of healthcare forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Brilliant. Compassionate. Driven. You’ll find these people everywhere you turn here. You’ll also find a world of career options fueled by your performance and limited only by imagination. Start here and start doing your life’s best work.(sm)
We build focused businesses, inside UnitedHealth Group, organized around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. Through our two business platforms, UnitedHealthcare and Optum, we work to improve the health care system and advance the health and well-being of individuals and communities so that they can enjoy better, fuller lives. That includes the entire spectrum of health care participants: individual consumers and employers, commercial payers and intermediaries, physicians, hospitals, pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers, and more.
The Director, Corporate Strategy is a seasoned business strategist who provides thought leadership, strategic direction, market analysis, and advisory support to guide growth and operational excellence across the business. This person must convince leaders and operators of his / her value, earn their trust and time, and work collaboratively to build actionable strategies. The Optum Corporate Strategy team, which reports up the UHG Chief Strategy and Growth Officer, is primarily focused on driving Optum strategy while driving alignment across the UHG portfolio.
The Corporate Strategy team works on high-impact strategic projects within and across the businesses. We work with executive and product leadership to frame the market, identify market opportunities, build analytics-based strategic plans, develop wide-ranging partnership processes, and drive actionable decisions. To do this, team members have a strong understanding of competitive dynamics in healthcare, customer needs, regulatory impacts, market trajectory, and company capabilities. The Director is a strong communicator who can present complex ideas and strategies to senior-level internal and external stakeholders. The Director is also an engaged, collaborative member of the Corporate Strategy team with a passion for healthcare.
- Deliver large, complex projects to achieve key business objectives; working across Optum, UnitedHealth Group and external parties as needed
- Deliver data-driven insights to support actionable strategic direction, corporate prioritization, corporate development and strategy communication (Executive management, Board, investors, company)
- Analyze industry trends, customer needs, competitive threats, expansion opportunities and internal performance
- Solve unique and complex problems requiring integrated solutions with broad impact on the business
- Lead in a team environment and be a trusted partner both within the Corporate Strategy team and with business unit partners / clients
- Influence Senior Leadership at Optum and UHG to adopt new ideas, products and/or approaches and gain commitment on cross-company initiatives
- Nurture and develop strong relationships with business unit leaders
- Support cross-Optum initiatives spanning growth strategy, operational excellence and client / external party partnerships by scoping, initiating, planning, controlling and closing strategy projects
- Support the corporate planning process and ad hoc projects for executives, corporate requests, and special events
- Develop Corporate Strategy team members, and enhance their skills and capabilities through project work and one-to-one coaching
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- 4-6+ years of experience
- 3+ years of strategy consulting experience and/or corporate strategy experience
· Experience directly and/or indirectly leading consulting / project teams
- Conceptual, analytical, and financial modeling skills
- Experience communicating data and strategic frameworks for executives
· Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship, now or in the future, for employment-based work authorization (F-1 students with practical training and candidates requiring H-1Bs, TNs, etc. will not be considered)
· Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- 2+ years of healthcare experience
Based: New York, NY, Boston, MA or Eden Prairie, MN
Travel: 20% (typically to MN or other UHG offices, project dependent)
Grad-level opportunities also exist at Optum, through the Optum Leadership Experience (OLE) and California Accelerate Leadership (CALP) Programs. The application and interview processes for these roles is separate.
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies now require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles require full COVID-19 vaccination as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Come to UnitedHealth Group, and share your ideas and your passion for doing more. We have roles that will fit your skills and knowledge. We have diverse opportunities that will fit your dreams. Join us and learn why there is no better place to do your life’s best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.