Director of Finance / FP&A
The Director of Finance / FP&A plays a critical role at SmartBiz, driving financial decisions and accountability for the company, so we can continue our rapid growth and achieve our mission of helping small businesses. This is a high-profile position, reporting to the CFO, with visibility to the CEO and the C-level executives heading each of the company functions. The Director of Finance / FP&A leads the company’s planning activities and also drives the use of data and analysis to enhance business decisions throughout the company.
Business planning and forecasting
- Develop and own the company’s business model, capturing key business drivers, and enabling dynamic updating of assumptions to run scenarios, and facilitate business decisions. This will require collaboration across all functions in the company.
- Lead the annual financial planning process, highlighting key assumptions, investments, resources needed, and the P&L and Balance Sheet results
- Produce regular financial forecasts for senior management, identify risks and opportunities, and manage tradeoffs
- Support debt and equity fundraising, bank relationships, investor relations, due diligence, and M&A
Financial reporting and key metrics
- Promote accountability throughout the company for results against established key metrics
- Report financials and metrics for senior management and the Board of Directors
- Present weekly key metrics for the CEO’s leadership team meeting, identifying performance variances and actions to take
- Develop new metrics and reporting as the business evolves
- Drive report automation and distribution, to enhance timeliness of decisions. Drive ongoing improvements in FP&A processes and systems
- Ensure compliance with internal controls, policies, and procedures
- Develop and provide ongoing financial analytical support with actionable insights, to all business functions. Foster an in-depth understanding of business drivers, risks, and opportunities.
- Manage and mentor FP&A analyst to provide planning and analytical support across the company. Build the FP&A team to support the company as it scales
- Develop data sources to understand business drivers. Collaborate with the Business Intelligence team to ensure that the company tracks data essential for running and growing the business. Identify new sources of data and foster an environment of data-driven decisions.
- Business partnership: Builds strong relationships in the company and works collaboratively to understand the business and deliver meaningful financial analyses that drive results.
- Self-starter: Takes initiative to address important challenges and opportunities. Able to thrive and set an agenda in a fast-paced environment working independently
- Problem solver: Analyzes complex business issues, leverages data and recommends actions. Able to identify interdependencies across different functions and proactively address the potential impact of issues with relevant parties.
- Excellent communication skills: Ability to listen and incorporate input, and to persuade across all levels in the company as well as with the external partners. Translates complex analyses into succinct and impactful presentations to senior management
- Meticulous attention to detail: Devoted to accuracy, while also able to get things done quickly
- Results-oriented: Strong drive to set goals, and to meet and exceed them. Takes ownership, makes sound decisions and communicates the rationale.
- Teambuilding: Experience building and leading an FP&A team that is sought after for financial advice and valued across the company
- 5-10 years of progressive experience in FP&A, investment banking, and/or management consulting
- MBA or equivalent
- Strong knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles
- Start-up experience would be valuable, especially in scaling a business undergoing rapid growth.
- Fintech or financial services experience would also be a plus
- Advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills. Experience with data tools such as Tableau
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- 100% paid comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- 401(k) offering Roth and Traditional options
- Generous vacation and holidays
- We have a spirited company culture and promote teambuilding through fun activities and events, such as virtual happy hours and online wellness initiatives. Our team is currently working from home, and we expect to WFH through at least summer 2021.
- We’re monitoring the Covid-19 situation carefully, and we’ll be returning to the office when it’s safe to do so. The team is looking forward to in-office perks, including lunches catered three times per week, snacks galore, coffee, espresso, La Croix/Waterloo, company happy hours, off-site events, and other activities. The company offers remote work flexibility, depending on the specific role.