About BioLife Plasma Services
Every day at BioLife, we feel good knowing that what we do helps improve the lives of patients with rare diseases. While you focus on our donors, we’ll support you. We offer a purpose you can believe in, a team you can count on, opportunities for career growth, and a comprehensive benefits program, all in a fast-paced, friendly environment.
Full vaccination for COVID-19 is a requirement for this position. Applicants may request a reasonable accommodation based on disability and/or religion reasons. BioLife/Takeda reserves the right to deny such requests when appropriate.
Takeda’s approach to environmental sustainability, which is in line with the UN Sustainable Goals and the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi), is part of our mission to strive towards Better Health and a Brighter Future for people worldwide.
BioLife Plasma Services is a subsidiary of Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Ltd.
The Sustainability Manager will be a key member of the BioLife Sustainability function, a growing team entirely committed to achieving BioLife’s ambitious environmental sustainability goals. The Sustainability Manager position will be a highly cross-functional role that will collaborate with internal stakeholders to implement sustainability initiatives. This individual will perform coordination, communications, and analytical work to execute the BioLife sustainability strategy and integrate sustainable practices within the BioLife business.
The Sustainability Manager will work closely with the BioLife Sustainability Lead to create and execute a roadmap to achieve BioLife’s environmental goals in alignment with corporate commitments. Responsibilities will include;
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to identify and implement projects consistent with the BioLife Sustainability roadmap including developing and executing detailed project plans
- Handle responses to incoming requests for sustainability performance data from across the organization and leadership team
- Gather, analyze, and present data on environmental KPI performance to BioLife functional teams and Leadership
- Stay up to date on ESG-related trends— especially with regards to new technologies and environmental regulations
- Create and deliver educational and training materials on sustainability/ESG to BioLife’s functional teams
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Subject matter expertise of sustainability topics including zero-waste, carbon neutrality, renewable energy, and water conservation.
- Able to ensure buy-in from stakeholders with diverse interests.
- Proven ability to rally others to align on goals and objectives.
Decision-Making and Autonomy
- A self-starter, with proven experience self-managing complex program delivery in a fast-paced environment.
- Collaborate effectively across functional groups, including Engineering, Operations, Marketing, Market Expansion, Supply Management, Quality, IT, Finance, BioLife Centers, and Labs to establish a common plan and approach
- Must be able to work with diverse people from different cultures and backgrounds.
- Familiar with industry best-practices to provide cutting edge ideas to advance BioLife’s sustainability efforts.
- Demonstrated flexibility and willingness to learn and work on new projects.
- Ability to challenge the status quo while maintaining organization alignment and commitment; break down barriers with a focus on continuous improvement.
- High degree of business curiosity; quick learner with a proactive and agile mindset.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and interface directly with multiple stakeholders.
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, sustainability, or relevant field, relevant Master’s degree a plus but not mandatory.
- Minimum 4 years of relevant experience within a sustainability focused role or organization.
- Ability to travel up to 15% of the time to BioLife locations across the US and EU to understand operations and implement initiatives
- Position to be based in Bannockburn, IL
The ideal candidate has proven subject-matter expertise and abilities on ESG topics generally and sustainability specifically, especially zero waste and decarbonization strategies. They also have deep experience in project management, are collaborative, proactive, and driven, and pay very careful attention to detail. This role will involve working closely with a range of internal and external stakeholders and requires a solid understanding of the cross-sector sustainability ecosystem.
Core Competencies /Skills
- Passionate about making a positive impact on our environment through leveraging innovation
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to effectively communicate at all levels of the organization and with external partners
- Expert level experience in PowerPoint and Excel
- Experience with MS Project and/or enterprise PPM software a plus
Takeda is proud in its commitment to creating a diverse workforce and providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, genetic information or characteristics, marital status, status as a Vietnam era veteran, special disabled veteran, or other protected veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, and any other characteristic protected by law.