Tracing our roots to 1928, Wellington Management Company, LLP is one of the world’s largest independent investment management firms. With US$1.2 trillion in assets under management as of 31 December 2020, we serve as a trusted adviser to institutional clients and mutual fund sponsors in over 60 countries. Our innovative investment solutions are built on the strength of proprietary, independent research and span the global capital markets, including equity, fixed income, multi-asset, and alternative strategies. As a private partnership whose sole business is investment management, our long-term views and interests are aligned with those of our clients. We are committed to attracting a talented and diverse workforce, and to fostering an open, collaborative, and inclusive culture because we believe multiple perspectives lead to more informed investment and business decisions. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome people with diverse life experiences, fresh ideas, and specialized subject-matter expertise.
The MBA Summer Internship is ideal for those first-year MBA students who plan to pursue a career in equity investing. During this ten-to-twelve week internship, the Intern is assigned an industry (or subset of an industry) to cover, and is expected to formulate a fundamental understanding of the industry and to prepare and present action-oriented equity investment recommendations based on analysis conducted during the summer.
Examples of recent internship projects include truck manufacturers, Brazilian infrastructure, industrial Tools and bearings, European oilfield services, Russian steel, South American retail, and the US coal industry. The work that an Intern does during the summer internship is representative of what an Analyst would do on a full-time basis. To provide guidance throughout the summer, the Intern will have a number of senior investors as mentors. The internship is supplemented by training, educational sessions and social events.
The Equity Research MBA Summer Intern is focused on identifying, analyzing, and recommending equity investments to the firm’s portfolio managers. Responsibilities include:
• Creative collection of pertinent industry and company information
• Formulation of a fundamental understanding of the competitive, operational, financial, and regulatory dynamics affecting an industry
• Preparation of detailed reports and financial models for companies researched
• Translation of analysis into actionable investment ideas
• Communication of investment thesis to firm’s investment professionals
The Intern will be presented with a highly challenging and rewarding experience that should offer insight to the investment management profession and to Wellington Management.
Candidates should possess investment acumen and a passion for investing, the ability to think outside the box, strong work ethic, and self-motivation.
Additional qualifications for this role include:
• Passion for the markets and investing
• Demonstrated analytical ability with strong mathematical and computer skills
• Superior communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to articulate investment recommendations with conviction
• Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to work in a team-oriented environment
• Ability to take risks and make decisions and execute under uncertainty
• Capable of working with a variety of constituents
• Self-motivated and able to work in an independent fashion
Wellington Management is a great place for a career in investment management — our strong culture of being non-hierarchical, informal, and entrepreneurial has led to low turnover in our investment groups and strong mentorship. We are a meritocracy and have a performance-driven approach to compensation and promotion. We take our work seriously, but not ourselves. Wellington Management seeks excellence in the people we employ and the products and services we offer. We seek to be a leader, an innovator and symbol of integrity in the investment management industry.
Qualified candidates should submit their resume and supporting documents by emailing Melissa Hayden (MAHayden@wellington.com).
Wellington Management Company, LLP is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified persons without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, nationality, ancestry, handicap, or veteran status.