MFin: Offer Extension Requests

We recognize that there are instances when you need additional time to decide on whether to accept an offer. Below is some sample wording for asking for an extension of an offer acceptance deadline. We recommend expressing your gratitude for the opportunity, articulating why you need the extra time and how much time you need. If you plan to ask an employer for an extension, this article has helpful advice. Take some time to familiarize yourself with the MIT Sloan Recruiting Policies.

It is critical that you take time to customize your request to your particular employer and role and write the message in your own words. You can email your draft to your career advisor for feedback. You can also make an appointment with your advisor on Career Central and we can offer guidance on navigating your particular situation.

Sample Wording:

Thank you for the internship offer! I’m very interested in being a part of the team this coming summer. I am currently in the process of wrapping up my interviews and I would greatly appreciate if [company name] would honor MIT Sloan’s Recruiting Policy to keep the offer open until [insert date]. I’d be grateful for the additional time.

By MIT Sloan CDO
MIT Sloan CDO