MFin Career Question of the Week: I have reached out to someone at one of my target companies requesting a time to connect and have not received a response. What should I do?

I have reached out to someone at one of my target companies requesting a time to connect and have not received a response. What should I do?

Effective networking is an essential skill in pursuit of your internship and full-time job opportunity goals. When you do not initially receive a response from a message to someone at a target company, we recommend that you send a friendly follow up email within 7-10 days reminding the contact of your interest in speaking with them. Remember, they are busy professionals and sometimes your email can get lost in the mix. Respectful persistence is a key to building momentum in your networking activity. When sending your follow up, we recommend that you reply to your original email; this allows the contact to easily read your complete email thread and enables you to keep your follow up message brief. Check out the Networking Strategies module in MFin Career Core for additional guidance on networking, including sample email templates.

By MIT Sloan CDO
MIT Sloan CDO