4 Insights I Wish I’d Known About the Dirt Road Internship Search | MBA Career Peers Series

By Teresita Baeza, MBA ‘24 | MBA Career Peers

Hi Sloanies! As a second-year student now looking back on my internship-seeking process, I realize there are a handful of things I wish I had known in advance. I want to take you on a journey through my experiences with internship hunting and learning about the art of networking. These aren’t just tasks to check off; they’re opportunities to grow, learn, and connect in ways that will shape our careers and ourselves.

#1 – Effort is the Key that Unlocks Luck Over Time

When I first started my internship search, I felt a mix of excitement and anxiety. The process seemed straightforward: apply, interview, and land your dream internship. However, I quickly realized it was more complex. In 2023, we saw delays in internship postings, adding to the uncertainty. But I learned that this extra time wasn’t a setback; it was a gift.

In this waiting period, I discovered the power of patience and hard work. I used the time to dive deeper into understanding what I want from my career. I researched companies, roles, and industries more thoroughly and realized that the journey was as much about self-discovery as it was about finding an internship. What seems like luck is often the result of hard work over time.

#2 – Networking: A Lifestyle, Not Just a Strategy

My initial approach to networking was hesitant. I thought it was about making as many connections as possible, often feeling awkward and out of place. But as I attended more events and reached out to more people, I began to see networking in a new light.

Networking is not just a strategy; it’s a way of life. It’s about being genuinely interested in others, sharing your story, and listening to theirs. It’s about building relationships, not just contacts. I’ve had conversations that opened my eyes to new perspectives, challenged my assumptions, and led me to reconsider my career path. These interactions have been invaluable, teaching me more about the business world and myself than any classroom lecture.

#3 – Embracing Change

As an international student, adapting to the networking culture at MIT Sloan was a challenge. I struggled with knowing what story to tell, what questions to ask, and whom to reach out to. This led to months without a single coffee chat. My applications weren’t progressing, and I couldn’t figure out why. Then, a friend’s advice struck me: “If you want different results, do things differently.” That’s when I started reaching out to Sloanies in companies I was interested in, tailoring my story, seeking feedback, and using the CDO for accountability sessions. I treated the recruiting process as a series of pilots and tests.

#4 – Creating Your Unique Path

The CDO does a great job outlining the three main pathways: highway road, dirt road, and jungle. This framework helps us understand our strategy and timeline. However, it’s crucial to remember two things: each year is different, and each person is unique. Understanding the macroeconomic circumstances that change year by year is vital. Comparing my timeline to the previous class only caused anxiety. Many of us found internships in May (later than the prior year; I found mine just two weeks before starting. Realizing that everyone has different goals, experiences, and connections was vital to not feeling left behind. Each one of us must leverage the competitive advantages and make the most of tools/opportunities like organizing conferences, speaker series, club events, or even proposing internship projects to companies not actively looking for interns; the journey is uniquely ours.

To my fellow Sloanies and those embarking on their MBA journey, remember that the path to finding your ideal internship and becoming a networking pro is filled with learning and growth. Embrace the challenges and opportunities that come your way. Share your experiences, learn from each other, and let’s support one another as we navigate this exciting journey.

________________________________________________

At MIT Sloan, we reference the different recruiting paths to MBA-level opportunities. What do we mean by Highway / Dirt Road / Jungle?

• Highway: MBA-level jobs with a structured recruiting process, often conducted through campus. This includes, but is not limited to, Consulting, Investment Banking, and Leadership Development Programs.
  • Dirt Road: Opportunities within industries whose recruiting processes for MBAs are less defined, requiring more networking and individual outreach. This includes opportunities in Private Equity, Venture Capital, Media/Entertainment, and Sports.
  • Jungle: Starting a new venture, pursuing positions with start-ups and early-stage ventures, or unstructured MBA opportunities.
By MIT Sloan CDO
MIT Sloan CDO